Welcome


WELCOME TO OUR BLOG ! WE TALK MAINLY - BUT NOT ONLY - ABOUT SLEEPING, BEAUTIFUL BEDS, BEDDING, BEDROOMS AND HOW WE LIVE IN THEM

PLEASE VISIT OUR WEBSITE. SHOP ONLINE FOR OUR PRODUCTS

Monday 16 July 2012

Memories of tartan

The last time I experienced such bone-chilling cold weather as we did over the last few days in the Western Cape, was during a December holiday in Scotland some years ago. While it was awfully cold, the landscapes were beautiful, and I can still vividly recall the pretty picture of fat white woolly sheep grazing on deep green pastures amongst age-old stone walls, against a backdrop of snow capped mountain peaks.

Whilst in Scotland we visited a few wool mills and I felt like a child in a candy store when confronted with all the tartan throws, blankets and scarves. Those rich, warm, jewel-like colours and the oh-so-soft-to-touch textures were real heart warmers. How I wish I had invested in one of those throws - I would definitely be wrapped up in one right now. And I can just imagine what those gorgeous colours would look like on my bed - completely cancelling out the dull grey light coming in through my bedroom window right now.





What I did buy, however, were a few skeins of gorgeously soft pure lambswool. Back at home I spent ages knitting hubby a traditional Aran cable sweater. After wearing it only a few times, it inadvertently landed in the washing machine. Needless to say, it came out felted and several sizes smaller. So, alas, the beautiful sweater is now only a memory too.
But I am totally tartan and aran inspired right now, and I would love to bring that look into the shop. Maybe even before winter is over ...
Watch this space!


Image sources: Pic 1:www.totallytartan.net; Pic 2: www.brontebydesign.co.uk; Pic 3:www.totallytartan.net; Pic 4:www.thewoolcompany.co.uk;
Pic 5:www.ainecreations.com

No comments:

Post a Comment